Monday, June 29, 2009

We made it!!

Sorry for the delay in posting...I have figured it out now! This will catch you up to today!! Enjoy! I will try posting some pictures tomorrow!!
Nei-how ya'll!
Mary Morgan, Carter and I have made it safely to SFCV (Shepherd's Field Children's Village) in China. Upon our arrival in Beijing, health officials boarded the plane wearing protective eyegear, gloves and masks to check our temperature. This in in prevention of the H1N1 virus. Noone was allowed to exit the plane until everyone was checked. The themometers were a infrared light pointed at our foreheads. It was interesting to say the least. Noone on our plane had fever..thank goodness..or we would have been quarantined for 7 days! We exited the plane, went through another health check point with a thermal heat scanner and got our luggage. We exited the terminal and there was a sight for tired eyes...Matthew Winn!! We had made it!

We spent Friday with Matthew, Karen, Christopher and Lee. They are doing great!! We went to Beijing for the day and actually ate Tex-Mex for lunch!! How about that-even on the other side of the world you can get Mexican food!!

Saturday was spent at SFCV playing with the beautiful children here. Each one is so precious and unique. Mary Morgan and Carter have made theirselves at home and feel comfortable coming and going to see the kids.

Sunday we went to church in Beijing. It was interesting to be in this country and being able to worship with locals..you get my drift?? But, you could feel HIS presence there! We met many local people and they were interested in us...especially Carter. He is a big attraction with this blonde hair. He sat next to a Chinese man in chruch that could not stop looking at him and patting him on the head and back. He was very friendly and full of questions. He asked Carter his name, age, where he was from and what his Chinese name is. Carter said "I don't have a Chinese name." The man laughed. (I think we are going to create a Chinese name for him that means "gentle dragon"). We took in some shopping and the Temple of Heaven too.

Every morning we awake to the sounds of laughter of the children from Samaritans House outside at 6:15am!!! Mary Morgan can't get up fast enough to get down to play with them! Carter and I are not far behind her.

Monday was spent at SFCV helping a team from Missouri with some crafts in the am. At 2:30 I had my first Art Class with 9 children from the school, ages 8-14. We used watercolor crayons to create a butterfly. It is a bit different teaching to Chinese students..they only understand familiar words. Their teacher Teacher Wang (Wong) is in the class to translate what I say into Chinese and then the kids answer in English, it is so cool!! The kids made beautiful paintings. Teacher Wong says that I am teaching her Art as well and she will help me learn some Chinese! haha!
There were a dozen Chinese University students that came to SFCV to visit and we were able to talk to them for a long time. They enjoyed speaking English with us. Carter played Chinese hacky-sack with them. They took over 20 pictures with him..he loved it.
We were able to experience Wal-Mart and it is an experience!! Fresh fish on ice..including squid and eel!! If you buy fresh fish, the worker catches the fish in a net then wacks the fish in the net on the floor to "stun" the fish so you can take it home!! YUM!! The deli consists of pig parts and all parts of the chicken including the feet prepared 3 different ways- boiled, smoked and BBQed! The kids loved it! Carter got many stares because of his hair. He says he feels like a movie star.
We look forward to a fun filled day today. Mary Holland arrived early this morning.
Will write more later! Thank you for your prayers, they are felt here!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you were able to refrain from examining the chicken on ice. I'm sure you brought some of that "wacked" fish back to SFCV to prepare a tasty dish for your kiddos. NOT! I can't help but think of China whenever I'm in Walmart, although the atmosphere is bit. . .no, alot different.

    ReplyDelete